Profile image for Julian_Powell

Please help to keep Clearwater Drive as public open space.

The consultation on future development sites and land uses closes on 23rd August 2011 at 5:00pm.
At a recent public meeting we were told that the County Council is not asking for houses on this site at this time. But that might change in the future.

The City Council can be persuaded not to allocate the site for housing in the city plan. Now is the time write in and ask for the entire site, including all land owned by the County Council, to be zoned as public open space.

Quedgeley (excluding Kingsway) has a total of 14.01hectares (Ha) (34.62acres) of public open space. This includes Waterwells Sports Centre, several linear open spaces and many roadside verges.

To meet the approved standards, Quedgeley needs 35.9Ha (88.71 acres) of public open space. That is an existing shortfall of 21.86Ha (54.09 acres).

Clearwater Drive open area is 3.1Ha (7.7 acres). If it is zoned as public open space Quedgeley will still be about 18.76Ha (46.35 acres) short. There is lots of evidence to show that problems with youth crime and antisocial behaviour are made worse where there is not enough space for people to let of steam. That is the basis from which the approved standards were devised.

Clearwater Drive is ideally situated in the middle of the area. Even with Clearwater Drive, Quedgeley (excluding Kingsway) would still have a deficit of 15.58Ha (38.5 acres) for sport, and a shortfall of 3.18Ha (7.86 acres) of space for general recreation.

The web site is at:
http://tinyurl.com/3evryzv

The response page to be filled in is at:
http://tinyurl.com/3jdjkjw

Julian Powell

By Julian_Powell at 13:31 on 18/08/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for alan_r

Done, good post I hope others do the same

By alan_r at 09:22 on 19/08/11

• Profile image for Trixie44

I have done my response. I really hope that they keep Clear Water as open space. I live very close and often walk my dog here and it would be a shame to see it built on. Some very interesting facts in your post regarding the amount of open space Quedgeley should have and the amount it does have. Although to be perfectly honest it is clear to see looking round Quedgeley that there is not enough green space as it seems to just be houses, houses and more houses. Yet developers are still all the time being given permission to build more. Crazy!!

By Trixie44 at 12:32 on 19/08/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent