Profile image for K Sharp Ltd

You may or may not be aware that there has been a review of the County Council Wards in Gloucestershire. Following an initial consultation, the initial Proposals have been published by the Local Government Boundary Commission. In essence, for Quedgeley, it has made recommendations for the Parish Council in terms of wards, but also it is going to cut Kingsway out of Quedgeley and merge it with Grange (lower Tuffley). At this stage, this is only for County Representation, but it would make sense for the City to align to it in the future. There is now 10 weeks for submissions from residents on the proposals. I have put the links on my blog here. http://tinyurl.com/3kqzuqr and I would recommend that you have a look to see how our community could be shaped in the future.

By K Sharp Ltd at 10:10 on 25/05/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for Trixie44

Hi Barry! I find all of this quite confusing! It seems to me like they are just making things more complicated and I agree with your Blog in the sense that the proposed names for the wards make no sense at all!! Thanks for telling us about it on here but I am surprised that this information hasn't been made available anywhere else! I even tried googling it and couldn't find anything about it!

By Trixie44 at 13:01 on 31/05/11

• Profile image for K Sharp Ltd

Hi Trixie44 - Yes it is confusing, especially when many people dont really understand what each level of council does for us (and our Tax payments).

In essence, there was percieved a need to remove 10 councillors from Gloucestershire, which means 2 from Gloucester itself. Coupled with this was the need to balance the number of electors per councillor (within a Margin of error).

I will be discussing it tonight as part of the Kingsway Residents meeting especially as it affects Kingsway so drastically, but do people think there is need for a Quedgeley meeting to discuss it? Not that there is too much we can do about it now, but the key thing will be to ensure all the public services and elected officials "line up" and people have a greater understanding of who is responsible for what.

By K Sharp Ltd at 14:40 on 31/05/11

• Profile image for alan_r

I suspect that a meeting to discuss this issue would meet with the usual apathy that greets subjects like this, especially as there is nothing we can do about it. I think that most people will find out when they next go to vote. To be honest this is the sort of thing we pay/vote for people to sort out on our behalf and I am sure they are doing it as required.

By alan_r at 16:10 on 31/05/11

• Profile image for K Sharp Ltd

HI Alan_r - In some respects your right, this is why we elect representatives, but we also have a habit (and Im as bad as the next person) of complaining when decisions are taken, and they are nto what we want. The elected officials can mearly say that no-one was interested.

I personally do not think we do truely appreciate that while it is Tax money, it is still our money spent on our behalf, and we should take much more interest in how its spent. Hence why if there are consultations like this, then I am trying to do what I can to make people aware of whats happening.

Historically I think your absolutally right in that many Quedgeley "community" meetings are poorly attended, and I think we need to work out what we can do to change it, and show residents that their attendance can (and should) make a difference.

By K Sharp Ltd at 16:33 on 01/06/11

• Profile image for alan_r

Barry, I think you and notable others do an excellent job of highlighting issues like this, on this site and others. I vote for councillors based on their politics and understand that broadly they will probably vote in line with my views. By voting I think I earn the right to the odd moan but generally I believe our elected officials to be honest and genuinely trying to do their best for the community.
    The lack of interest in what happens to our tax is a good point in that people probably should be more involved. For what it's worth I think people put their time into the things that interest them, be it bringing up a family, sport, work, cinema etc etc. and that not many people are actually interested in politics and that is why meetings are not well attended. I help run a local rugby club and because that is my interest would rather spend my time doing that than attending meetings re local issues. So maybe it is not apathy maybe people make an active choice not to go because they have what they consider to be "better things to do" and leave it to the people for whom local govt is an interest. Fortunately for us as I said before the people that are interested are generally good people doing their best on our behalf.

By alan_r at 12:15 on 02/06/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent