Profile image for K Sharp Ltd

Badham Pharmacy are delighted to report that – on Saturday 2nd April at 11am, Barry Kirby, Chairman of Kingway Residents Assocation has kindly offered to officially open the new pharmacy in Kingsway (next to the Kingsway Primary School).

We are also running a free raffle, so please call in and collect your (free) ticket. The prize is a £25 voucher to spend at the chemist, and the draw will take place on 23rd April 2011.

The new pharmacy marks a new era for Kingsway where services will be provided locally for the community.

Free drinks will be provided for all.

By K Sharp Ltd at 11:29 on 29/03/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for K Sharp Ltd

This is the post by Peter Badham on the Kingsway Villagers website - I wanted to repost here to make as many people aware as possible. It is a very important day for Kingsway as it marks the advancement into a stage of self sustainment for the community with the development of local amenities, which will also relieve some of the pressure which are on the resources in Quedgeley.

If you can make it, It would be great to see you to support local business development.

By K Sharp Ltd at 11:32 on 29/03/11

• Profile image for alan_r

Excellent news, I would like to see far more creation of services for new estates as the houses go up but for some reason we seem to see services lagging behind house construction. I am sure that this will be a very welcome addition to Kingsway and will have positive effects on services in Quedgeley and the environment with less cars being used to drive the ridiculous distance Kingsway residents have to go to get to shops. Barry I understand in rush hours why the bollards are up between the estates but couldn't something be done outside of rush hours and weekends to open them and reduce travelling distances, even if it was until Kingsway has its own shops

By alan_r at 13:29 on 29/03/11

Alan_r
    Unfortunatly that road will neer be open for "normal use" in that way and the reasoning is that before the estate was built, the planners did some traffic flow modelling work and determined that the Tesco roundabout woudl nto be able to take the flow of traffic. Therefore it is a planning condition that this does not open. And also we have to consider those residents who have bought houses down that end of Valley GArdens and Leeming Walk etc, who bought the houses in the belief that it would not be a thoroughfare for normal traffic. It woudl be most unfair to them to then get the traffic that woudl ensue,

As a side note to this, the bollard is going away, but only to be replaced by an ANPR camera that is on Llanthony Bridge. This is becuase the bollard has been vandalised too many times and it has had an occasion when it was stuck in the UP position, therefore blocking Emergency Services access shoudl it be required. As the A38 entrance has now been blocked a few times, the impact of not having an emergency service not being able to access the village does not bear thinking about.

By K Sharp Ltd at 14:44 on 30/03/11

Oh, and Kingsway have to travel an Extra 1.2 miles each way because of the blockage on the road between Naas lane and the Woodvale roundabout. No, that is not good, and Im working with QUVL to progress the removal of the blockade!

By K Sharp Ltd at 14:49 on 30/03/11

• Profile image for Trixie44

In response to your comment that the bollard will be replaced by an ANPR camera I sincerely hope that this will be widely advertised otherwise this is a sneaky way for money to be made by people that may be confused as to why the bollard is missing and think that it is OK to drive through. I know that people will only do it once after they have received a hefty fine but even if ten people do it by mistake then a lot of money is being made by peoples ignorance which I just don’t think is fair. I understand your comments about vandalism and the emergency services needing to get through but surely there must be better ways than putting a sneaky camera there and no bollard because I feel that this is simply trapping people into driving this way and then charging them a fine. I also hope that the signs saying No entry/Bus lane only or whatever is much larger and clearer than the one on Llanthony Bridge which is the smallest, most pathetic sign I have ever seen. It is hardly visible at night and I again think that is has been designed that way so that people do drive through and then have to pay the fine. It is OK for local people but people visiting the area could really get caught here.

By Trixie44 at 19:36 on 30/03/11

Trixie

Your absolutally right, and this is something have stressed with the City Council. The local residents have been made aware through mu public meetings and messages on the Kingsway website, and also the council have promised a press campaign to highlight it. I am very keen that it is NOT a cash cow. Though I have to say that the first press story landed today and its very disappointing that it has been used the way it has.

We have also discussed (Residents Association and City Councillors) about trying to get people (volunteers) to "man" the bridge in the first few weeks to provide warning.

But there is a lot of sign age gone in (it is there already, just covered up) so in reality I think people will have enough warning, it will be largely down to if they want to chance the camera. But it is a digital camera and I doubt if many will be able to evade it.

While I would love the underpass to be open, we have to be realistic in that it will not be. So I would just encourage people not to try and chance it!

By K Sharp Ltd at 23:38 on 30/03/11

Opening up the road to Naas lane and the roundabout will be interesting, there are always huge queues in the morning at that roundabout, made worse by buses parking on Fieldcourt drive and thus stopping one lane of traffic. This is a personal bug bear of mine especially when there is a park and ride 200 yards away that they could park in if they are too early to start their route.
    Re the camera, I find it interesting that people can't read a road sign that says do not enter. Signs for a one way street are not huge and their is usually only one on each side of the road but we don't hear of people going down one way streets all the time. I believe so many people go over Llanthony because they were able to do it for years, that is not the case with the underpass so everyone going down it is either not reading road signs(illegal) or trying it on(illegal) and deserve to be fined.

By alan_r at 09:20 on 31/03/11

• Profile image for cosford2

why is there a bollard or camera still under the bypass?
    it would not harm anyone if that was open to all. There is no through way to the motorway or tuffley so the only people who would regularly use it are kingsway residents. i have to travel all the way round to be able to get fuel for work or take large amounts of shopping in a car home when it would take less than 1 min to be home. Is that being green? times that by the amount of residents also

By cosford2 at 14:36 on 31/03/11

Cosford, if your read barry's comment above I believe it answers your question Quote "Unfortunatly that road will never be open for "normal use" in that way and the reasoning is that before the estate was built, the planners did some traffic flow modelling work and determined that the Tesco roundabout woudl nto be able to take the flow of traffic. Therefore it is a planning condition that this does not open." So it was decided before Kingsway was built that it would never open, although I suspect that part of the decision was that Kingsway would be self sufficient with regard to shops etc which patently hasn't happened. If they were clever they could open it and direct traffic down to the traffic lights at the Orchard and not let people out from Matalan onto the Tesco roundabout.

By alan_r at 09:35 on 01/04/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent